Things are looking up.
I started out with a dated bathroom ... circa 1950.
If you missed all the sad details you can see all the former dreariness ... HERE.
The first thing to go was the white ... boring vanity.
I've always dreamed of finding a miraculously cheap antique dresser ...
which I could transform magically into a stunning bathroom vanity.
***Did I use enough adjectives in that sentence?***
Santa hadn't left me one under the tree the last few years ... so I went to Plan B.
First on the agenda ... take out the drawers and open up the space for baskets.
To get the look of furniture ... I added some feet to the bottom-front of the vanity.
Next up ... I attached trim molding to the front of these built in hampers ...
then finished it off with new hardware.
I absolutely hated ... hated ... hated the flourescent lights and the long boring mirror.
I was a bit worried about removing the large mirror from the wall without it shattering ...
but it came off fairly easily and in one piece.
***Possible trip to the Emergency Room averted.***
I found these two framed mirrors at Beverly's Hobby at 50% off.
Of course they were a gaudy gold ... but that was easily fixed ... by painting it the
same cocoa brown as the vanity.
Changing out the flourescent lighting was a bit trickier ... those suckers were
really jammed in there. Never say die ... well hardly ever ... I prevailed and
installed some more aesthetically pleasing fixtures from The Depot.
They're still not my first choice ... but the soffit here really limited my choices.
I removed the old medicine cabinet and re-plastered and painted.
***Haven't really found what I want to put in it's place yet.***
Don't send me any hate mail ... but I laid these pavers right over the linoleum.
I thought the tiling would be an easy job ... and laying it down was fairly simple.
I got into some trouble with the grouting. Even though I sealed the pavers first ... it was
extremely hard to clean the grout off the tiles. I think it's a matter of practice ...
knowing how long you have to smooth the grout lines and still clean the tiles.
I used a necklace as a wrap-around on the bath curtain.
So that's it so far. Yes I still have the pink sinks and the funky tile.
My next step ... when my ship comes in ... is to replace the sinks and the tile.
Until then ... I've decided the pink seems to look a little better next to the Mexican pavers
on the floor. The faucets ... they're getting ripped out next month.
As for the total cost ... well I would definitely say under $500.
I did all the labor myself ... the electrical ... the masonry ... and the carpentry.
The most expensive part was probably the fabric for the tub curtain and the blinds.
The magnolia wreath I also made ... I love that ... if I do say so myself ...
I even decided to add it to my Etsy Shop.
Saw ... hammer ... paint ... a bit of plaster ... mortar ... and drywall was all it took.
***My husband may tell you differently...I did get just a bit ... loud and hostile with that grout. ***
I still have things I want to do in here ... but I really love the outcome.
It really does almost look like a piece of furniture...
well almost ... but not bad for a gal on a budget.